- November 29, 2019
- Brandz Magazine Team
Dr. Abdul Qadeer- Founder Shaheen Group of Institutions
An Educationist, a philanthropist and an activist, Dr. Abdul Qadeer is as a big source of inspiration for youngsters, for his contribution to the Educational development of Bidar District through ‘Shaheen Group of Institutions’. Dr. Abdul Qadeer, who commenced his career as an Engineer at Japanese Marobani Corporation, soon moved to Saudi Arabia to resume his professional career, but his desire to educate the poor and marginalized mass of Bidar district made him return to India in 1989, following which he established ‘Allama Iqbal Education Society’ to fulfill his long running aspirations. This visionary endeavor initiated by him in a one room tenement accommodating 18 students has now evolved into a huge center of academic excellence empowering the lives of more than 12000 students with 500 teachers engaged in creation of knowledge from KG to UG.
Under the leadership of this extraordinary Educationist, who adopted pioneering idea of providing education in mother tongue, ‘Shaheen’ has attained 1000 plus free Government medical seats and is one of the top 5 institutes in Karnataka that are known for offering excellent education to students aspiring to become a doctor.
Taking us through his journey, he says that it had been a futile exercise for him to find a quality Education hub in Bidar for his younger sibling- ‘Abdul Hannan’, which motivated him to leave his flourishing career as an engineer in Gulf to turn into an academic entrepreneur; not to mention, Bidar, being a backward district in Karnataka, it was quite a task to bring quality teachers in and around the area.
Highly inspired from ‘Poet Allama Iqbal’, Dr. Abdul Qadeer put all his efforts to improve the slow learners, Madrasa students and dropouts, which was the biggest challenge in his life. It’s a challenging task to make such students learn a language and subjects in 60 days to make them enter the regular class 10th.
“The pilot project of Shaheen, named ‘Academic Intensive Care Unit‘, started in 2003, which aimed at bringing the Madrasa students and dropouts to mainstream, proved fruitful by making many students of age 10-18 score well in their class 10th & 12th exams along with NEET and other professional exams. The programme ‘AICU’ includes a composite curriculum from class 5 to 12, which incorporates continuous and comprehensive evaluation methods to make students capable to exploring the problem areas for their development rather than just making them score good in academics.
“Nearly 500 dropouts and Madrasa students are admitted annually in AICU. Alumni of Shaheen AICU are now pursuing education in esteemed institutions like ‘Jamia Millia Islamia’ and ‘Aligarh Muslim University”, Dr. Abdul Qadeer revealed.
With around 65% students from downtrodden class, the teachers in ‘Shaheen‘ take great interest in students in the ratio 6:1, to examine the academic development of these students on a daily basis.
- In 2018, 304 medical seats were obtained by the students of ‘Shaheen’
- 21 seats of prestigious ‘Bangalore Medical College’ (BMC) were bagged by ‘Shaheen’
- 68 seats of Govt. Medical College, Bidar and 31 seats of ‘Government Medical College’, Gulbarga were acquired by the students of ‘Shaheen’.
- Hafiza Doctor Rabia Basreen, who joined ‘Shaheen Urdu High School’, did great in 10th and 12th and eventually secured free government medical seat in the open merit entrance exam at most prestigious ‘Bangalore Medical College’.
- Hafiza Doctor Ishrath Fatima, the first student of ‘Shaheen’ to get MD seat, completed 10th in 6 months course and performed well in the 11th, 12th, and afterwards secured free government medical seat in the open merit entrance exam at prestigious ‘Ramaiah Medical College’, Bangalore.
- Hafiza Doctor Atufiath Ambreen secured free government medical seat in the open merit entrance exam at Bidar Medical College in 2012
- Hafiz Doctor Mohammed Ilyas performed well in the K-CET and secured government free seat in the veterinary University and now he has secured government job as a veterinary doctor
- Hafiz Engineer Mohammed Shakeel, one of the early Huffaz of Shaheen Shoba-e-Hifzul Quran, now after completion of Engineering in Civil stream, is working in a reputed construction company at Hyderabad
- Waheed Abdullah scored 579 marks in NEET and secured Government Medical seat in the prestigious ‘Aligarh Muslim University’.
- Hafiz Fawwaz Jawed Khan, who had never seen school, is now pursuing BDS from the prestigious ‘Jamia Millia Islamiya’, Delhi.
- Abu Sufiyan, hailing from a poor, uneducated family of a village near Bangalore, successfully passed all the prescribed courses in ‘Shaaheen’ and is now studying MBBS at ‘Raichur Institute of Medical Sciences’.
- Ahmed Mehboob Saab experienced a transition from Madrasa to Engineering college through ‘Shaaheen’
2004: Gurukul Award
2008: District level Rajyotsava Award
2011: Shikshana Ratna Prashasti frorn Chitradurga Math
2012: Dr. Mumtaz Khan Award for Communal Harmony
2012: Karnataka Urdu Academy Award
2012: Halakatti Sri Award at 6th Vachana Sahitya Sammelana
2013: Kannada Rajyotsava Award – the highest civilian award by the Government of Karnataka
2015: Honorary Doctorate Degree by Gulbarga University
2017: Achiever of Karnataka by Shri. Ananthkumar (Union Minister)